I took a 52-hour train ride from Chicago to California. Here are 10 things I wish I had packed.

 I took a 52-hour train ride from Chicago to California. Here are 10 things I wish I had packed. | photo
The silver, blue, and red Amtrak train at the concrete platform
I rode Amtrak's California Zephyr line for 52 hours.
  • There are some issues I want I had packed for my 52-hour practice journey from Chicago to California.
  • Earplugs and an eye fixed masks would've helped me sleep even higher in my roomette. 
  • I ought to've downloaded films and introduced a deck of playing cards to fill downtime.

Regardless that my 52-hour trek on Amtrak's California Zephyr was my first lengthy practice experience, I feel I created a pretty solid packing list.

Nevertheless, there are a couple of gadgets that would've made the trip from Chicago to California even higher.

Ginger chews might have helped with nausea

Bringing ginger chews is one thing I considered after the very fact.

Although I had Dramamine and sea-nausea-relief bands, ginger is a pure motion-sickness remedy, so I might've beloved to see simply how properly it labored.

I want I introduced my very own pillow for additional consolation

Four pillows leaning against a brown headboard on a bed with white sheets and comforter
Even a neck pillow can be good to deliver.

I don't usually journey with an additional pillow, however I feel it might've been good to have in my roomette for extra consolation. Even a neck pillow would've been good.

That stated, Amtrak supplies roomette passengers with a pillow and blanket, so that you don't should deliver your personal when you don't need to. 

I'd deliver an additional blanket on fall or winter rides

I additionally love sleeping with an enormous comforter.

The blanket Amtrak offers isn't too skinny, nevertheless it's not as thick as a comforter.

For future fall and winter rides, I'll in all probability pack an additional small blanket for more warmth and enhanced consolation.

I ought to've downloaded a number of films 

Wanting again on it, I want I had downloaded movies from Netflix forward of time, because the practice doesn't have WiFi.

I wanted to put in writing, so I needed to concentrate on that, however it might've been far more enjoyable to fill the time by watching a film (or three) in my roomette.

A deck of playing cards might've made for a enjoyable pastime

Deck of cards with a red ace of hearts on top on a gray surface
I really like card video games.

I really like enjoying card video games, so not bringing a deck with me was a missed alternative.

It might've been a screen-free exercise for once I needed a break from my laptop computer and telephone.

Plus in a post-COVID-19 world sometime, I might like to take a long train ride and play card video games with different passengers, which might be a enjoyable option to make associates as a solo traveler.

Subsequent time, I'll pack my favourite bottle of wine

I had no concept that you would be able to deliver your personal bottle of wine in a roomette.

The wine Amtrak offered was scrumptious throughout meal occasions, however I might've additionally favored to have introduced my very own bottle to take pleasure in as I relaxed in my area.

I'll undoubtedly deliver my favourite purple or white on my subsequent practice journey. 

I ought to've introduced much more snacks

pretzels spilling out of clear snack bag
You'll be able to even pack a cooler of recent snacks.

Despite the fact that I introduced snacks, I want I had packed extra.

Amtrak's meals have been higher than I anticipated, however it might've been good to produce other snacks to switch it up.

I noticed somebody with a bit of cooler and thought that may've been a good suggestion for packing brisker snacks as an alternative of simply packaged ones.

A jelly air freshener might've brightened up my roomette

Maintaining in thoughts that some vacationers are allergic to sure scents, I nonetheless would've appreciated to pack an air freshener simply in case.

The practice didn't stink in any respect, however after a couple of days, I needed a brisker odor. Packing a jelly air freshener or spray might've brightened the roomette up a bit.

Practice journey is usually a bit loud, so earplugs would've come in useful

Red earplugs by plastic container on light wood table
The practice is usually a bit noisy at night time.

The opposite passengers weren't noisy in any respect, however the practice itself might get somewhat bumpy and loud at night time.

Earplugs would've been good to have on the primary night time to adjust to sleeping on the practice. 

For full darkness at night time, pack an eye fixed masks

I'm usually a heavy sleeper, and I slept fairly properly on the practice, however slightly bit of sunshine got here via the door at night time.

On the second night time, I noticed I might block most of it with my backpack in entrance of the door — which additionally labored as additional safety — however I nonetheless would've liked an eye fixed masks to make it pitch black.

Learn the unique article on Insider


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.